|Ten things to know from last week|
- The Figures. Nathan Chen (USA) lost his three-year unbeaten run in last week’s ISU Grand Prix Skate America but he rebounded to win the ISU Grand Prix Skate Canada, crushing the competition by 50 points. In the women’s division, Kamila Valieva (RUS) scored 265.08 points, the highest ever score in women’s figure skating. Sui Wenjing / Han Con (CHN) won in Pairs and Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier (CAN) won Ice Dance.
- Breakthrough at 42. Glover Lucas Teixeira (BRA) took until he was 42 years-old to claim the UFC Light Heavyweight World Title. He beat Jan Błachowicz (POL) in an upset Submission (rear-naked choke). He had lost his first shot at a title against Jon Jones (USA) in 2014.
- World Record Jump. Fresh from winning her 5th consecutive Water Skiing Jump World Title, Jacinta Carroll (AUS) broke the (pending) World Record by jumping 61.5 meters, in the Water Ski Pro Tour.
- Russian beaches. Lokomotiv Moscow won its record-setting third (2012, 2017, 2021) title in the Beach Soccer’s Mundialito de Clubes, by beating incumbent 2019 Champions, SC Braga by 6-4 in the Final. The match took place in Moscow, behind closed doors.
- Russian Rhythmic. The Russian Gymnastics Federation won its 11th consecutive Team World Championship in the Rhythmic Gymnastics World Championship. The Averina sisters, Dina and Arina, have been in the last three. Moreover, Dina became the first gymnast to win four World Titles in Individual All-Around, all consecutive. She also won gold in Hoop, Ball and Clubs. Maria Tolkacheva, Polina Orlova, Angelina Shkatova, Anastasia Bliznyuk and Alisa Tishchenko also won in Group All-Around and 5 Balls.
- Just as on Track. The German delegation was the most successful team at the UCI Indoor Cycling World Championship, just as in Track Cycling recently. Lukas Kohl won a fifth consecutive Single Artistic title, with ten revolutions in the twist jump. Serafin Schefold and Max Hanselmann won their third Title in Pairs. So did Milena Slupina, in Women’s Individual. Bernd and Gerhard Mlady beat Austria 5-2 in the Cycle-Ball Final.
- Nine-pin. Serbia won the nine-pin Team World Championship for a record fourth time in a row and sixth in seven editions. Moreover they set a team World Record of 4140 points, and Baranj Congor set an individual World Record of 738 points.
- Bench Press. Justyna Kozdryk (POL), a two-time Paralympic medalist, won her 9th Bench Press Classic World Championship, by taking the Women’s -47 kg Bench Press World Title, with a European Record lift of 97.5 kg.
- Momentum. Johnny Clayton (WAL) is seizing his moment in Darts. He won the PDC Tour’s Jack’s World Series Finals by beating Dimitri Van den Bergh (BEL). This is his fourth TV title this year. He won first individual title in 2021.
- Scare. Sergio Agüero (ARG), Current FC Barcelona player and former Olympic Champion, had a cardiac arrhythmia during an eventual 1–1 draw against Alavés that has ruled him out for three months.
In addition, as we post this the Atlanta Braves have won the MLB World Series against the Houston Astros. They were on the brink after November 1st.