Five things to know from what happened in the world of sport. February 23-March 1st, 2021.
- Canelo – a class of his own. Saúl Álvarez (MEX) made Avni Yildirim (TUR) retire after 3 rounds in their Super MIddleweight World Title match for the WBC and WBA belts. Álvarez, the world’s best Pound for Pound boxer, had to fight Yildirim as he was the mandatory challenger. His next rival will be the WBO Champion, Billy Joe Saunders (ENG). If he wins that fight, he will eye the full unification by challenging the IBF Champion. Watch the fight (TV Azteca).
- Collin Morikawa wins the WGC. Collin Morikawa (USA) doesn’t always win but when he does he makes it big. Last year he won the 2020 PGA Chamìonship and now won the World Golf Championships at the Concession (USA). He is the second player -the other one being Tiger Woods (USA)- that has won both tournaments before age 25. (Tournament highlights – European Tour).
- Mixed Ski Cross. Fanny Smith (SUI) extended her record as the winningest skier at the Ski Cross World Cups, by winning in Georgia. She also won the first ever mixed team event at the competition, alongside Jonas Lenherr (SUI). Watch the mixed team highlights (FIS).
- Repeat Parallel Champions. The Snowboard Parallel Giant Slalom saw repeat winners at the World Championship: Dmitry Loginov (RUS) in the men’s division and Selina Jörg (DEU) in the women’s division. She became the first woman in 18 years that repeats the PGS gold. He had an exciting final where he fell for a bit but hs rival Fischnaller (ITA) also fell down – they crossed the line very close. Watch the men’s final (FIS).
- World Record. Grant Holloway (USA) broke the long standing 60 meters hurdle World Indoor Record at the World Athletics Indoor meet in Madrid (ESP), clocking 7.29 seconds. He has gone under 7.40 in seven races this year. Gudaf Tsegay (ETH) had also broken an indoor record, the 1500 women’s, in a Gold Level meet three weeks ago. Watch his race (World Athletics).