Five things to know from what happened in the world of sport. February 16-22, 2021.
- KO of the year!? Óscar Valdez (MEX) delivered a fulminating KO against Miguel Berchelt (MEX) to take the WBC Super Featherweight title, in what might be the KO of the year. He was not only impressive due to his single-hand KO: he totally dominated in the fight. Watch the highlights (Top Rank)
- 60th golden jump. Sara Takanashi (JPN) won her 60th World Cup gold -#1 of all time-, in Rasnov (ROU). Fellow Japanese Ryoyu Kobayashi won the men’s event. They are both candidates for winning the World Championship this week but don’t discount other teams out, sucha s Norway, that took the Mixed Team gold. (Watch her jump – FIS)
- Saudi Cup upset. The Saudi Cup, the world’s richest horse race, was won by Mishriff (IRL), mounted by 21 year-old David Egan (IRL) and trained by John Gosden (ENG). They pulled the upset against Charlatan (USA). Another pre-rae favorite, Knicks Go (USA), was fourth. Watch the race replay (BloodHorse)
- Alpine Worlds conclude. Lara Gut-Behrami continued to shine. She won gold in Giant Slalom after having taken the Super-G. Mikaela Shiffrin (USA) won a total of four medals, including the Alpine Combined gold. Favorite Petra Vlhova (SVK) did send her to the bronze but the gold was for Katharina Liensberger (AUT). Mathieu Faivre (FRA) won the GIant Slalom and Parallel Giant Slalom. Watch Faivre’s Giant Slalom run (FIS)
- Lost Barcelona. FC Barcelona (ESP) looks lost at the UEFA Champions League Round of 16, after Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) beat them with a clear 4-1, including 3 goals by Mbappé (FRA). Porto had a very important win over Juventus (ITA) 2-1, Leipzig (DEU) lost to Liverpool (ENG) 0-2 and Sevilla (ESP) lost to Borussia Dortmund (DEU) 2-3. (Watch the Barcelona – PSG highlights – BT)