Five things to know from what happened in the world of sport. December 21-28, 2020.
- Chinese Super League. The China Table Tennis Club Super League had a historic first incorporation of WTTF foreign table tennis stars for its four-day league. It was still teams with only Chinese players that dominated. Ma Long (CHN) led Shandong Luneng to defeat the Shandong Weiqiao against Liang Jingkun (CHN). Ma was joined by Wang Chuqin (CHN) and Fang Bo (CHN). In the women’s division, Shenzhen beat Shandong thanks to Chinese national team players Chen Meng (CHN), Sun Yingsha (CHN), and Wang Yidi (CHN). (Xinhua)
- Might as well jump. Several Grade I Hunt Races took place. Bryony Frost (ENG) became the first female jockey to win the King George VI Chase, riding Frodon (FRA). In flat racing, Bob Baffert ended the year with a win, thanks to Charlatan’s win at the Malibu Stakes (LA Times)
- Federer withdraws again. Roger Federer (SUI) feels unfit for the 2021 Australian Open due to an injury and has opted to withdraw from the tournament. He has not competed since 2020’s Australian Open. (ATP)
- Cricketers of the decade. Ellyse Perry (AUS) was recognized with three simultaneous awards by the ICC: she was named the “ICC Female Cricketer of the Decade”, “Women’s ODI Cricketer of the Decade”, and “Women’s T20I Cricketer of the Decade”. In men’s, Virat Kohli (IND) won ICC’s “ODI Men’s Cricketer of the Decade” and ICC’s “Male Cricketer of the Decade” awards wle Steve Smith (AUS) was named the “Male Test Cricketer of the Decade”. (ICC)
- Climate change. While climate change may not be the only reason, sport suffered heavily from weather inclemence this week, which is likely correlated with climate change patterns. Thi week saw the cancellations and/or postponements of FIS Alpine World Cup races in Europe, Jump Horse Races in Ireland and Wales, and even Horse races in Jamaica. In the Netherlands, it almost led to the cancellation of the UCI Cyclo-Cross World Cup. The Vendée Globe Race sailors are suffering from brutal conditions in the South Sea (Watch some of the better conditions they are facing – Vendéé)